Thursday, June 20, 2024

ROCKET MAN

 For the last several weeks I've been watching the rocket launches from Space Force Base Vandenberg. The launches are scheduled at www.spacelaunchschedule.com/. 

I have been a associated with rockets and missiles since 1960 when I was a Guidedmissileman later renamed to Missile Technician for eight years in the Navy. While in the Navy I participated in over 50 launches of which I only actually witnessed maybe four launches. The reason I only watched so few launches I was busy manning he telemetering ground station. The only launches I saw was when the bird was carrying a live warhead. The telemetering package replaced the explosive warhead. 

A few years ago on the occasional Thursday evening around sunset one could watch a launch coming up from Vandenberg Air Force Base. The chance of seeing a live launch was spotty at best as The USAF didn't post any schedules.

Well times have now changed. Vandenberg is now a Space Force  base and most of the launches are SpaceX launches and Elon Musk makes sure all launches are public notices. Typically we now get a four day heads up. 

About two years ago I was in a supermarket parking lot in Palm Springs and realized that most everyone was looking up at the sky. They were watching a launch from Vandenberg and it was spectacular. Even way out in the desert. One by one my neighbors are finding out what some of us are watching and they also become addicts. 

You just don't get such action in Cleveland.



No comments:

Post a Comment