Sunday, August 30, 2009

Road trip



One of my favorite things is to get in my truck or car, or get on my motorcycle or boat and take a trip and be gone for a few days, or weeks. We made a trek to No Cal this last week. I worked in Benicia for a few days and Cyn worked in So. San Fran. By Friday, both of us were done, so we did a bit of touring. I've been driving through and around San Jose for the last forty years now and have often wondered about the Winchester House.


The Winchester House, in case you don't know about it was built and rebuilt continuously over and over by Winchester, the gun maker's widow. she was a class A, world class nutcase. Apparently some psychic told her to never stop working on the house or bad things will happen to her. I believe in live and let live, but please keep the psychic advisers and other Voodoo practitioners away from me. I'm a firm believer of religious freedom. Freedom of religion and freedom from religion, but I do think that most paranaturals are charlatans. And, having said that, should be shot on sight.
Anyway, after all of these years, I finally went to see it. Yup. It's bizarre. Yup. It's pretty big. OK, I've been there and done that. I also took lots of picture to bore the crap out of unsuspecting friends. Thanks to the digital camera, I now take way more pictures than I ever used to. I spent six weeks in Europe and only took maybe 20-25 pictures. The usual stuff, pictures from the Eiffel Tower, gondolas in Venice castles on the Rhine. I do know the secret of professional photographers. Take lots of shots. It's part of the If you throw enough shit on a wall, some of it's bound to stick theory. With the digital camera, you can just shoot away, my chip holds about 800 pictures. Review them when you have a chance, and then erase the crap. It works for me.
Afterwards, we drove up to the Lick Observatory late in the day. Too late actually do it justice. Gotta go back when I can devote at least half a day, if not a full day.
Now let's head on down the road to Big Sur.
The best road trip in America, if not the world.
Every year, or two, I have to do it. I like to do it best alone. In a very fast sports car that can really handle the road. Alone because I don't get distracted by passengers screaming and pleading for me to spare their lives. Fast is good. It is also almost as good to be a passenger to a driver who values their own life and drives sanely enough to allow you to view the spectacular scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment