Monday, November 2, 2009

But is is Satay?

A long, long time ago; when I actually had to work for a living, I flew a lot. By a lot I mean at least once a week. All over the place from LA to Mexico City and Tokyo and Sidney and Seoul and all over the USA. My favorite domestic airlines to fly on then were Continental & American, my least favorites were North West, Eastern and United. It wasn't that United was so bad. But I always liked to travel and traveling should be an adventure. Especially when you fly. Back in the dark ages, the nineteen seventies, flying was still fun on the aforementioned airlines. On the last three mentioned, it was more like taking a big bus. The airline food was usually best on American. The food on most of the others was normally not worth remembering. I was n a United flight one time however and it was time to slop the passengers. The flight attendant came by and asked what I wanted. The choices consisted of the usual like beef tips and noodles etc or maybe the Malay Peanut Chicken. "The what?" I asked. Something new and different on a airplane? They don't normally poison the paying passengers on the major airlines so I figured, why not. I ate, I enjoyed and I wanted more. After the dinner service, I went back to the galley on the airplane. I cranked up the charm setting to ten, smiled and asked "can you tell me who in your organization I would need to contact to get the recipe for that Malay chicken?" She smiled back at me, I thought I was really hitting pay dirt, and reached over my shoulder, pulled out a large printed card and said that so many people had asked for it, that the airline had it printed up.
So here it is. It is my oldest son's favorite food for me to make him.
I have deviated from the printed recipe some.
I cut up a whole chicken into breast, thigh, wing and leg pieces.
First season with some soy sauce.
Dust with flour, and saute. Keep the heat on. Add a teaspoon, or so, of dehydrated onions and 1/4 cup of white wine. Add a Tbs of soy sauce a can of chicken broth a 1/2 tsp of ground ginger and Turmeric and let simmer for 1/2 Hr. Lastly add a 1/2 cup of half & half adjust salt & pepper, if needed and serve over rice.
Yummers.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like a sodium blast from hell......I'll try it in my own version and let you know how it goes....

    ReplyDelete