Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Missile Tech Niel F Collins

I learned today that Missile Tech 2cl. Neil Collins has passed away. Neil was not only a shipmate and a comrade in arms, he was a friend. He was also a Waddell Plankowner and appreciated being a member of an elite group of sailors called Missile Technicians. I went aboard Waddell in February of 64 as part of the pre-com crew while she was was still in Todd Shipyard in Seattle being built. Thanks to the powers that be, instead of being the Leading Missile Technician, I ended up in the Missile Guidance Radar Room as part of some ill-advised cross-training experiment. This lasted about nine months and felt more like nine years. About six months after the ship was commissioned, and a few missile shots under our belts, I finally got my shop back shortly afterward, we got jerked out of our training cycle and quickly were deployed over to Westpac, IE Viet Nam. Neil was a calming influence in our little crazy world. He was capable of keeping his head screwed on tight when all was going crazy. This picture was taken in some sailor bar in Sasibo Japan in 1965.
From left to right is a Missile Tech named Shaw, I can't remember his first name right now. The guy on the right of him is Dave Bradberry who was a great guy to have working with you. Next is me the Fearless Leader and then Neil. This was our first WestPac although Waddell was our second ship. Neil was previously on another DDG, I forget which one. Dave and I were both on carriers. Dave was on Kitty Hawk CVA-63, and I was on Constellation CVA-64. We were all glad that we came together on our DDG.
After nine months on the gun line in So. Viet Nam and up running SAR of of Hiphong, we ended up unwinding in Olongopo, Philippines. By then we were hardened combatants, but somehow Neil stayed cool as a cucumber. He's the calm looking guy on the left. My old running-mate from Southern Indiana, IE NAD CRane, Bart Hart is the guy above my head and I am the hard-ass on the right.
The last time I saw Neil was a few years back at his home outside of Orlando. Although he looked well enough, he told me he did feel like he was well enough to travel to a reunion. Too bad, I was still hoping that we all could get together for a Missile Division reunion here in Long Beach which was our home port during those magic days.

1 comment:

  1. Tears came out after reading your blog.... exactly i too missed my best buddy last month and your blog made me to remember that ... anyway...May his Soul Rest in Peace....

    Technician Education Requirements

    ReplyDelete