Saturday, May 5, 2012

Homeward Bound

On Monday afternoon 16 April it was snowing pretty hard and the last thing in the world that I wanted was to do was drive a RV through the Canadian Rockies during a snowstorm at night, so we stayed another night.
By Tuesday morning 17 April a lot of thee snow had melted off of the ground although there were still a few flurries coming down so we decided to make a run for it. 
The trip was really pretty uneventful.We drove across a few Indian reservations and got to Crow's Nest Pass while it was still light outside. Being we came over the pass on our way in while it was dark we really got to enjoy the scenery, which was spectacular. We cleared customs into Idaho just about dusk and made it to Spokane about midnight. We spent a little R&R time in Spokane and got on the road again on the 22nd. 
On the way up, I had elected to stick to the Interstate Highway system being I was a novice RVer. By now after logging over 2000 miles, I was an old hand and ready to cut a few hundred miles off of my trip by taking US97 back through Bend and Klamith Falls,OR. As it turned out, US97 was an easier drive than than I-5 to Portland. Late Sunday night, we holed up in Weed, CA. Sadie was so cute, she was sitting up in the passenger seat when I went to sleep. Early in the morning when I got up, she was still sitting up. Keeping watch. She really is the ideal traveling companion. If you talk to yourself while driving, you're considered to be a nut. If you talk to your dog, you're a sweet guy. She hangs onto my every word and she doesn't yack too much. Expensive restaurants while on the road aren't even an issue and she always a potty break when we stop for gas or to stretch our legs. 
We spent Monday with my older son Ed and his wife Cassy which is always fun. Ed and I watched a film called Who Is Harry Nielson and Why Is Everybody Talking About Him which is excellent. A few days later, I found out that Cassy has been accepted into the Chemical Engineering Program at UC Berkley which makes us all happy and proud.. 
I didn't want to deal with East Bay traffic in the morning so Sadie and I left town about ten and made it to Santa Nella, my go to stop when transiting I-5. We gassed up and slept amongst the big-rigs. 
Tuesday morning, we moored Bullwinkle in the marina parking lot and I settled down for a long winter's nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment