Tuesday, May 1, 2018

END OF AN ERA

I am a US Navy veteran and accordingly act like the sailor that I am.
This has included, in no particular order, chasing women, drinking a lot of rum, drinking even more beer and eating almost anything I happened across. 
Well I had a big eye-opener two weeks ago. I had my third stroke. It was a miner stroke if there is such a thing. A TSA or Transient Ischemic Attack. 
The docs at the VA Hospital grilled me with a bunch of questions concerning my life style. Do you smoke? Me, I smoke about ten cigars a year. Do you drink? Me, not like I used to. Why did you cut back? Me, I got old. How much do you drink? Me, I have a mixed drink, a beer, or a glass of wine with dinner about five times a week. Do you have a healthy diet? Me, it depends who you ask. I feel that I do. I have mostly chicken breast, fish and lean pork regularly. I don't get junk food like double cheese burgers hardly ever and I eat red meat, IE beef less than once a week. 
That's good what about vegetables? Me, I could do better in that department. What does that mean? Is more than half of your plate veggies? Me, no. A quarter? Me, sometimes. You need to do better. Do want to die tomorrow? Me, of course not.
My take on this is as follows.
The cigars are not good but not all that bad. Same for the alcohol. Part of the diet is OK but the veggie and fiber part needs improving.
Sunday we went to the Fish Camp. I had grilled sand dabs and instead of ordering fries and mac & cheese as my two sides, I had rice and grilled veggies. This is a quantum leap for this old sailor but entirely necessary. Last evening I bought a no-salt rotisserie chicken. I really couldn't really perceive any difference. 
My next big step is to have several meatless days each week.
It isn't the end of the world but you can see it from here.




No comments:

Post a Comment