Tuesday, September 17, 2019

THE GREAT AMERICAN TRAIN TRIP OF 2019 PART 2 CHICAGO TO INDIANAPOLIS

We had the pleasure of riding a Greyhound bus from Chicago to Nap Town. We had taken a Mexican bus from Loreto BCS to Tijuana three years ago but I haven't been on a Greyhound been on a Greyhound for many years. 
After 44 hours on the train with only the Subway sandwiches and an apple fritter, and little sleep on the train, we were beat and we wanted to sleep but first food. I was wanting a world famous Chicago hot dog so I went to a dog and sandwich shop at Union Station and bought a bratwurst with chili-cheese fries. A well balanced meal. The brat had a real, thick casing and was delicious. 
Some things had changed and other things didn't. The bus itself was modern and comfortable but it seemed to have more than a few miles on it. We departed Amtrak's Union Station in Chicago and the bus was carrying the usual assortment of  prototypical long distance bus riders, the less well healed. 
We stayed at the Crown Plaza at Indy. Jamie told me that the hotel was built inside of  the old Indianapolis train station and I thought oh swell. A hotel inside a hundred plus year old train station which is probably in a ghetto. What a pleasant surprise it was. The "ghetto" has been mostly rebuilt and the hotel is one of the nicest I've stayed at and I've stayed in hotels all over the world. Some of the rooms are in refurbished Pullman train cars, I am sure I will be staying the again.

No comments:

Post a Comment