Monday, October 14, 2019

THE GREAT AMERICAN TRAIN TRIP OF 2019 PART 6 ATLANTA, NEW ORLEANS AND HOME TO LONG BEACH

We arrived in Gainsesville Virginia  early in the morning. We got off of the train in Gainsesville because Scott who picked us up wisely didn't want to drive in or out of Atlanta during the morning rush hour.
Scott Douglas and his wife Debra are old and very dear friends of mine. Scott was a loan rep in Long Beach in 1979 when I met him. He and Debra are gifted conversationalists and are very gracious hosts. They have a house in Hilton Head, SC where we visited  them last year. I don't know how they feel but I always think that our visits together are all too brief. Scott is a very capibale cook and a real wizard on his infamous green egg BBQ. Our visit was a veritable food frenzy. Debra's mother Irene who I loved was a masterful Italian cook and her talent rubbed off on her daughter. 
We went to a few Georgia wineries, who knew? We also had three dogs at their home to play with. Red is a Red Border Collie and is way too smart for a so called dumb animal. Shadow is a big brown Labrador Retriever who is sweet and is getting a little long in the tooth. Cooper is a tall lanky American Fox Hound and is a real rascal. All too soon we departed again on the AMTRAK Crescent on our way to New Orleans.
The AMTRAK Sunset limited only departs New Orleans on Monday, Wednesday and Saturdays. So we, once we got in to the Hotel late and the departure was 9:00 AM. So once again our Visit to The Big Easy was all too short. 
I was hoping to get a Muffuletta samich at Central Grocery where it originated but we got into town too late and left too early. This is the fourth failed attempt to get a Muffuletta at Central Grocery. The first time I went to CG was on a Monday and they are closed on Mondays. The second time I was too late, they had already closed. The third time I didn't go on a Monday and I got to CG while they were still open. I walked up to a ominously quiet counter and ordered my samich. The nice man behind the counter said that they had run out of bread by the time I got there, Hopefully the fourth time will be a charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment