Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Merrymaid, Valkyrien, Lady Aida, Diossa del Mar and Ranger.

I have had a long time love affair with schooners since 1974. I was sailing back from the Isthmus when this schooner on a beam reach flying a gollywobbler shot by my meager 22 foot one masted, trailerable sloop. It was of such beauty and back lit that I took a picture of it. A picture? Is that some kind of big deal? Yes it is if you are a parsimonious SOB like me. Hell I went to Europe for the first time in 1975 and didn't even take a whole roll of pictures. But back to my story. After doing some detective work, I found out that she was Diosa del Mar. One of three schooners moored in Wilmington and owned by Eddie Weinberg and used in the charter business. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to go on board Diosa. 


I did however sail on her sister Lady Aida. It was 1979 and I had just bought my little schooner Merrymaid. I was selling apartment buildings in Long Beach and an escrow owner chartered her one weekend for her best customers. Of course, I fit that description so   I and my wife went schoonering, if there is such a word. These charter boats are notoriously underhand and the skipper causally asked if any of his passengers knew how to sail. I boldly said not only do I know how to sail I even own a schooner. Of course I only had possession of my boat for about a month and didn't know my butt from a hole in the ground. I do however have a talent for keeping my piehole shut and watch the other folks carefully. By the time the weekend was over, I was an old salt schooner sailor. 




When we used to race in the Ancient Mariner's Race here in Long Beach we had the same PHRF rating as Ranger. The AMR was an Austrailian pursuit race which meant it had a staggered start and boats with the same rating would start together. Theoretically if the handicaps were valid, all of the boats would cross the finish line together, LOL. We would swap positions during the race but eventually that big SOB would stay ahead of us near the finish and we always came in second to her in our class.Eddie Weinberg owned Ranger and we eventually became good friends.

I suppose that everyone has heard all of my Marymaid tales by now.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment