Saturday, July 29, 2023

I love my car.



 

When I was 17 years old I swore that someday I would own a Corvette. Ten years ago I was going to buy a newer car for myself to augment my pickup truck. I almost bought a Corvette but I knew that Sadie my spoiled Golden Retriever wouldn't take to a two seat car. She made numerous cross-country trips in  the pickup and she liked to snooze in the back seat of the truck. Instead I bought a 2001 BMW E-46 325ci silver convertible because it had a back seat.  Sadie loved the car, my girlfriend loved the car and I adored the car. I had the car for about five years and it had 135,000 miles on it when I bought it. Maintenance cost was  somewhat high but it's the price one pays for anything of beauty that you really love. After putting another 30,000 thousand miles on my beauty, the transmission went south. A replacement or repaired transmission would have cost more than I paid for the car so I got a one year newer 2001 silver silver BMW 325ci ragtop. The new car was nearly identical in looks and driving pleasure but didn't have the leather heated seats, big deal, I live in SoCal. It didn't have the high end audio system either but it was still pretty nice. They don't put crap at the factory in Germany. About five years later my former girlfriend, now my wife, came home and said some idiot in a rental van hit the car. She said, like the Black Knight in Monty Python, that it was only a scratch. My heart sunk, I was going to kill this moron. She said "See it?" I said "no I don't". It was truly, only a scratch. Being the car was twenty years old, the insurance company elected to "Total" the car and give me fair market value and they did just that and took away my little Teutonic beauty. Off we went to find a replacement and  guess what I got. A 2001 silver BMW 325ci convertible. This one has the heated leather seats and the premium sound system and no one that I know that this is the third car. They look so much alike. Do I love the BMWs? If you were to bet, play the favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment