Thursday, January 21, 2010

OK, I'm done.


It's been raining, more or less, steadily since Sunday. OK, I know that it's mid-January and here I am in So. Cal. and I'm bitching about some rain. I could be freezing my ass off in Cleveland or riding on a can in Avalon Harbor like George and Malinda. But here I am in Alamitos Bay Marina with a fire going in my fireplace and I'm nicely hooked up to shore power and I'm whining.
I do have to go outside and pump out the Whaler now and then and we did have a waterspout come ashore about a mile south in Sunset Beach on Tuesday and tear a few roofs off and flip an Explorer.


Flip around some dingies at Peter's Landing.


And pickup a few catamarans 100' in the air and toss them across the channel at
Huntington Harbor.



No Oaky trailer park stuff, but still a wakeup call.
We got five inches of rain yesterday here in Long Beach and the mayer is asking all of the residents to not do any un-essential travel. The underpasses by and on the freeways are flooded and clogged with flotsam consisting mainly of Toyotas, Mazdas and Fiats. It's a good time to have a BRT. A Big Red full-size Dodge pickup Truck.
I have a bit of water running down the mast, what else is new, and an annoying drip from the hatch over the galley. That's about it. But I'm starting to get a bit of cabin fever.
The storm is so big that the kids were surfing off of the peninsula in LB, inside of the breakwater which I never heard of before. Check it out for yourself.
http://welovelb.org/2010/01/video-we-love-long-beach-surf-january-19th-2010/ .
It's still blowing like hell out there and the rain is slanting in, but as far as I know we haven't lost any boats, ships or oil platforms.
Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment