Monday, June 14, 2010

A Boy and His Dog

There are two kinds of people on this planet. One kind walks right by me and my dog and don't give her a second look. The other kind will invariably look at the dog and smile. I am of the second kind and I don't really care for the first kind.
Yes, I am a dog person. I like animals Cats, Horses, Birds, anything that serves as a pet, but dogs, to me, are a cut above.
The best dog that you ever had is the one that you have now.
This is my girl, Sadie. Actually Sadie Marie. Sadie is a pure bred Golden Retriever and I'll be the first admit that I'm partial to these dogs, but Goldens are really special to me. Most of them don't have a mean bone in their body and all they want to do is please their person. Sadie will sit quietly for hours and hours as long as she can see me. That's about all she wants out of life is to be with me.
She is the first girl dog that I ever had to care for. Hell she is the first girl period tha I ever had to care for. I've had two sons, two Dachshunds, two German Shepards and two Rottweillers. All macho males, boys.
The Dachunds were great, fearless little guys. Bred to go down a hole and drag out a wounded Badger. Dead or alive. A badger is nothing to trifle with. Especially a wounded one.
The Shepards, Rommel and Lancer, were magnificent creatures. Big, bold, smart and alert. Bred to protect their flock.
The Rottweillers were black death. Bred by the Romans to guard the Legion's property, they are very territorial. When they were on the job, nobody, including myself was going near their charge. They meant business, strictly business.
This Golden is a whole new experience. She is loving and sweet and I love her to death, but she sure knows how to manipulate. She knows what she wants and she knows how to get it and if you play your cards just right, she'll actually chase a rubber duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment