Sunday, November 10, 2013

TIA 2

After the usual ER bullshit temp, blood pressure etc. they gave me an aspirin and I was interviewed by the stroke doctor. 
By then, my little cubicle started to fill up. I don't really remember their order of appearance, but my son Dave was there my  godson Mike and my neighbor Andy May. By then I felt normal. It had been about an hour to an hour and a half since the event and the ER was taking on a Fort Lauderdale spring break party atmosphere. Without the booze and drugs of course. 
The doctor, a middle-aged Chinese lady, was not amused. I think that she wanted the place to be a bit more somber but having just laughed into the face of death, I figured that if I was still alive, all was well. Every time Dr. Chin asked me a question Andy, being Andy, would answer in my behalf. She asked me who this guy was and why he was here. Right after I told her  that I didn't know who he was, that I saw him rummaging through a dumpster out back and thought that he could use a meal, she blew it.
I remember her saying that I shouldn't fuck with her as she was trying to save my life and Andy stood down.
I spent the next two days in the VA hospital with two other vets in my room. One had cancer and the other was going to get a heart transplant. I then felt pretty good about my state of health.
While in the Kronkhaus I had a CT scan a MRI and an ultrasound of my heart plus a few other pokes and jabs. Every ten minutes some sweet person would come in ask me if they could do anything for me. My stock reply was to growl back "Yah get me the hell out of here". 
After two days, they had enough of me and I went over the wall. I've been a pretty good boy since I got sprung outta there. I've been watching my intake of Big Carl's and Bonus Jack's.  I haven't had a deepfried hog snout since the event and my BP and cholesterol are way down. 
I still feel a disconnect like my head is in a cardboard box with a hole cut into it and people are looking at me through the hole and I'm looking out. 
All in all, I'm feeling pretty good and at least I'm not in Cleveland.

No comments:

Post a Comment