Friday, February 26, 2010

The Greatest thing since sliced bread, or canned beer.

I hear people use the expression that something is the greatest thing since sliced bread, or canned beer. I personally opt for canned beer.
A few minutes ago, I ripped open a twelve pack of Coors and popped a top on a cold one. I got to thinking about the old adage about canned beer and happened to glance at the carton as I was shredding it up for kindling. I happened to glance and came to the realization that a can of beer has undergone about the same amount of technological advancement as the super computer.
When I was a snot nosed kid, we needed to pack a "church key" around. Usually it dangled from our belt or key-chain. This was, you may forget, the era when a cool dude rolled his pack of unfiltered Camels up in the sleeve of his tee-shirt.
Now anybody can pop a cold one without the aid of an appliance. But I'm sure you all knew that.
What is maybe not so apparent, is the other transformations that the humble beer can has experienced.
The label of a Coors' can is now printed with a liquid crystal type ink that makes the mountains on the label turn from silver to blue when the can is nice and cool. How cool is that? There is also a "vented wide mouth" to keep your brew from getting to "wild" or foamy while being decanted from it's can. And lest we forget the "frost brew liner" to keep your swill from tasting like the aluminum siding of some cracker box palace in Levitown.
Aint technology wonderful?



No comments:

Post a Comment