Thursday, May 13, 2010

TWS, Day 10 Tennessee & Indiana

Scott and I went fishing in the Chattahoochee River in the morning while Sadie played water dog, sort of. The fish were literally jumping out of the water but neither Scott or myself didn't even get a single bite, let alone a creel full of fish. About mid-day, I reluctantly loaded the truck and set out for Indiana.
In some remote corner of Tennessee, I pulled into a BP truckstop to walk Sadie. After said walk, the truck wouldn't start. I have had this problem before. The first time was with my beloved Chevy pickup in California. When I stopped at the customer's, the truck was running fine. When I came out, it wouldn't start. It had a bad in-tank fuel pump. The second time, I was in Springfield Mass. I was driving my Jeep Cherokee and the same thing happened. One minute it was running fine and after I parked it, it wouldn't start. So when it happened with this Dodge pickup, I was pretty sure what it was. There was a truck mechanic on duty and he was able to get a replacement pump at nine o'clock. He said he would be back at eight Saturday morning to swap out the pumps so Sadie and I, having no other options, settled down in the truck for a long night. There was no motel to hole up in and it not only rained like hell with the wind howling and lots of thunder and lightening. The next morning, eight came and went and no mechanics. Nine also elapsed. Finally the two good ole boys showed and when they finally got to the task, they really knocked it out. It was still stormy as hell and I without any real "road testing" of the repairs, we hit the road. Without incident I will gladly add.

Saturday evening we arrived at John Runberg's barn in Nashville Indiana. John is a QC manager at the IU cyclotron. He lives in a hundred year old red wooden barn on a real working farm. Lots of cows, pigs and chickens.

There is a pond across the lane with ducks. Sadie loved chasing the ducks. The ducks weren't as enthusiastic. But all parties survived. After the Tennessee breakdown, this was a good place to settle in for awhile.
But all good things must come to an end, so Sunday evening we set off for Cincinnati.

No comments:

Post a Comment