Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Trip to TJ's

I'm not sure how or when I left the fold, but I sure did. I do know why however. I love Trader Joe's. I've been going there since it was a two liqueur store chain. I worked in Alhambra Ca and a co-worker, Al Bull III mentioned TJs in passing. When I proclaimed my ignorance of TJ's, Al gave the place a very glowing oral review. Back then TJ's was primarily a very eclectic liquor store with a few extra items. I was immediately hooked. This was in 1974. As the years went by, Joe added more items but then I moved out of the San Gabriel valley to live aboard and left TJs and In-and-Out behind me.
About 1980, TJ opened a store at Marina Pacifica in Long Beach and a few years later In-and-Out built a drive-through practically across the street from TJs. Both are less than a quarter of a mile from where I am moored. Life was, once again, complete.
I made my trips to TJ's to buy specifically the Italian pastas, the Santini Olive oil, the seeded baguettes, Palugra butter and the coffee. And let's not forget the Two Buck Chuck.
The store was small and as I hate crowds I went less and less. I couldn't seem to find an uncrowded time. It didn't matter early morning, mid-day or evening, I was always getting mowed down by a cart being pushed by some impatient portly yuppie who was perpetually in a hurry to go where, or do what else? This all resulted in my making less, and less, trips to TJs.
The other day while in Walnut Creek visiting with my son and his wife Cassy, we walked over to TJs, and I was immediately back in the fold.
The Italian pastas are now a buck, up from 69 cents. So what else hasn't gone up in price? I stocked up. No Santini olive oil so I got the TJ house brand. Seeded baguette, check. This one had anise seeds on it which seemed to overpower the taste of the bread itself. There was no Palugra butter in stock but Cassy thought that maybe it was because this was a fairly small store, even for Trader Joe's. Five bottles of Two Buck Chuck rounded out this excursion's purchases.
But the main event is the coffee. I'd been buying TJ's House Blend for years and there wasn't any to be had. Small store syndrome once again? They had decaf house blend but drinking decaf is kinda like having phone sex, why bother?
I got the Joe's Dark Coffee, $3.99 for a 13 Oz. can of beans. What a deal! I'd been buying ground coffee, in a can, from the supermarket for some time now and those days are probably over.
This morning, I dusted off my trusty Magic Bullet and ground up some beans, made a pot and am in heaven.
It looks like I'll be returning to my local TJ's, which is also within walking distance since they moved into a bigger location, real soon seeking out the elusive Palugra butter and Santini olive oil.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had TJ's House Blend in years but I always proclaimed that it was the best there was. I'm going to grab a can next time around and revisit an old amigo.

    ReplyDelete