Thursday, November 18, 2010

Happy Great American Smokeout Day, to me.

Today, 18 Nov. 2010 is Great American Smkeout Day. Back in 1981, I was still selling residential income property, apartment buildings, in Long Beach and on the morning of the smokeout, I was driving to the office. Some perky bastard was on the radio touting the smokeout. How if I didn't smoke today, that would be at least one more day that I would be adding to my life. I was thinking screw you, you asshole, if I wanted to hear a sermon, I'd go to church, as I was automatically shoving a Marlboro into my piehole.
I'd been ill for some time by then. I didn't know t right then but it turned out to be Cat Scratch Fever. As a doctor pointed out to me, it couldn't be CSF because I didn't have a festering scratch wound and I didn't have a fever either. Anyway, as I was groping for my lighter while driving down Second Street in the Shore, I thought to myself that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I thought gee, if I quit smoking I'd have to feel better. So I said to myself, that's it, I quit. And I did, quit. I also knew right there and then, that I was an ex-smoker, and I started to feel better immediately. I had quit smoking a thousand times, I used to kid that every night when I went to bed, that I had temperately quit smoking, at least for eight hours. Unless, maybe if I got up to pee.
I got to the office and predictably, when I got there, one of my co-workers, who had "quit" mooched a smoke off of me. We used to kid that Dave didn't quit smoking, he had quit buying.
I tossed him my pack of cigarettes and told him to keep the pack for I had quit. Naturally, he didn't have a light either, so when he bummed my lighter, I told him to keep it also. For I really know that I was an ex-smoker. It was really weird, because I did actually know that I had quit.
So enjoy the day and remember, if you don't smoke today, that would be at least one more day that you would be adding to your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment