Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Adios 2010

I don't know about anyone else but I won't be all that sad to see 2010 go away.
For me, 2010 was just an extension of 2009 and that wasn't very good.
My business took the Diamond Lane into the crapper in early 2009 and I've been living hand to mouth for the last two years. Besides the obvious, struggling to pay your bills etc., the other downside to being destitute is that you don't get any respect. When things are going well, everybody wants to be your friend. Your jokes are always funny and people listen to what you say. They hang onto your every word. When you're broke, you're just another bum and what you say, or feel, is worthless. It's also hell on your personal relationships. When the money goes out of the window, the romance goes out the door. Sorry to say, that is the way it is. But life does go on. One has to pick themselves up, brush off the dust and then climb back up on that figurative horse.
I realize that just because we tear a page off of our calendars that some controller of our collective fates somewhere doesn't fire off a cannon and announce "OK, the woes of the World Economy are over. Everybody may now resume life once more". But having said that, it does appear that things are finally improving. As a builder and seller of capitol equipment, I am one of the first people to know when things are slowing down. Business stop spending money on their machinery because things "are tight". Conversely, as a builder and seller of capitol equipment I also am one of the first to see things recovering, which it is.
So I am looking forward to 2011 to be as good as 2009 & 2010 were bad. I found a recipe for a drink called AMF, if you catch my drift, to toast away 2010. If you want a copy, let me know and I'll be only to glad to share it with you.
I was recently thinking back to New Years' past, and thought back to the celebration in Times Square. It was the heralding in of the year 2000 which despite Y2K being such a big deal, it was a small deal. If you have a Bucket List, New Years at Times Square should be on it. Being crammed into a relativally small area with three and a half million drunken New Yorkers is an experience not to miss. At the time, I thought that it would be My Worst Nightmare. It was actually very nice. My then wife Nancy said that it was because all of the asshole New Yorkers were all out in LA at the time.
Let's all hope that all of our wishes and expectations for 2011 do come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment