Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Vicki used to call it Frito Pie

Vicki, our Office Manager back in the Good Old Days, or like the Kriegsmarine used to refer to as The Happy Days, would upon occasion woop me up some Frito Pie when she thought that I was working too hard and not eating. Boy, did I ever have her fooled. Me, working too hard, and not eating? Come on.
Frito Pie is dirt simple and one of my favorite comfort foods. Who said that comfort foods had to be like Cream Of Wheat with skim milk poured over it? Bland, bland, bland. Not me. Sometimes yes, but others lets light up the afterburner and see what chars.
I could have this very wrong, but this is what I do. I put a layer of Fritos in the bottom of a bowl. Yah, we're gonna nuke it so make it a microwave safe bowl. Not one of Grandma's heirlooms. Next add a layer of chili. The chili in the above picture is the gourmet shit. Left over from Saturday's boat parade made with Tri-tip. Leftover chili is maybe better than the "fresh" stuff. That's the beauty of chili, it's unpretentious. It knows that it's chili and therefore it goes willingly anywhere. Alone in a bowl, or atop a hot dog, it doesn't really care. Chili is like the ugly girl with the killer body, she's just so damned happy to be out and around she'll pretty much take whatever you throw at her.
Lastly, lay down some shredded cheese, any cheese will do as long as it's not cottage cheese or ricotta. Nuke it and while the cheese is changing it's state from solid to a more plastic consistency, grab a cold beer or two. ABB.

No comments:

Post a Comment