Wednesday, June 21, 2023

The Beemer

 In 2013 after I had a stroke and retired, I decided to fulfill an oath that I made to myself more than fifty years ago to someday own a Corvette. But I one problem, Sadie my Golden Retriever probably wouldn't like it. She has ridden many miles with me including several cross-country trips. She rides with me in the front seat for a few hours but than she will hop in the back and take a nap. She has told me that she really enjoys taking those naps in the back seat and yes, we really talk to one another. She is a very good listener and rarely interrupts when I am talking. She knows how I really hate being interrupted while talking. She was not going to cotton to some two seated toy car. So the Vette got kicked under the bus.

A close runner up was a BMW convertible. The little princess surely couldn't find fault with that Teutonic jewel. I settled on a silver 2001 328ci convertible. It had a Bose sound system, heated leather seats which every southern Californian needs and lots of other trinkets that make it the "Ultimate Driving Machine". It was love at first sight and I bought it. I didn't have my Little Red Corvette but I loved the car and named her Loretta.

About five years later the six speed transmission went south. To either fix or replace the tranny would have cost more than I paid for it. After driving a Kraut car you eventually succumb to the German logic so I did the logical thing and bought another silver BMW  328ci convertible. The only slight differences was this car was a 2002 and didn't have all of the bells and whistles. It wasn't the same but it wasn't all that big of a sacrifice. The only difference in apperance was so slight only I could really tell the difference.

Fast forward another five years and "my better half" upon returning from a shopping spree announced that some fool in a Hertz rental truck hit Loretta II and scratched  it. It was barely noticeable so I breathed a sigh of relief. Due to some dumb shit corporate logic,  Hertz's insurance company decided to "total" my little Loretta II. "Total" meant to take Loretta II off our hands and reimburse us enough money to replace it. So off we went a hunting for a replacement. This time I settled on a guess what? A silver 2001 BMW 328ci convertable.

We now possess Loretta III. She is the identical twin of Loretta I, Bose stereo and heated leather seats etc. except she has the wheels that Loretta II had.

Now, it appears that, the third time truely is a charm. I have come to the conclusion that I have found my automotive soulmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment