Sunday, August 8, 2010

Travels With Andy, Baja Sur to Loreto

We, Andy & I, crossed into Baja Sur about noon on Thursday. More desert, rocks and Baja highway. As we approached The Sea of Cortez you could sense that we were putting the desert behind us and the sea was looming ahead.

On our way to the sea, we crossed over this stream with palms etc. It was very scenic.
Finally we came to the Gulf and drove into Santa Rosita, a really cute little fishing town with a few stoplights and the trappings of a small city. We lunched in town and I had, what else, more grilled Yellowtail. Can't get enough of that Yellowtail.
South of Mulege, we stopped at a beach called Playa Santispac on the Bahia Concepcion. The water was the warmest that I've been in outside of a tub, it was about ninety six which isn't too surprising being the air temperature was 106. Not only was the water vary warm, but the salinity seem higher than normal so we got an eight pack of Modelo beer and floated around sipping that good Mexican beer.
The Germans set up breweries in Mexico and the Mexicans became almost as good as the Krauts at brewing beer. My two favorites are Pacifico probably because it has anchors and other nautical crap on the label and Bohemia because it's so damned good.
Conception Bay is huge, and we drove along it for over half of an hour. Each time we rounded a corner, the view was so spectacular that I wanted to pull the truck over and take yet another photo. We got into Loreto a bit early to stop for the night but we stopped for the evening anyway because we were hot and tired and, most of all thirsty for more beer. We stayed at the Oasis Hotel right on the beach and I had more grilled fish for dinner. Friday morning we got up early and when I went outside, I was befuddled for a moment. Not too difficult for me to be on any given morning.
I was looking at the Sun rising over the sea, a sight that I don't see to often living in California. I then realized that we were on the east coast of Baja and I was seeing the Sun rise over the Sea of Cortez, AKA The Golf of California. It was a very nice way to begin the day.
We next stopped at Puerto Escondido which was very nice. But that's a subject in the next exciting chapter entitled The Third Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment