Monday, April 26, 2010

Travels With Sadie, Day Five. Moss Point MS



We got out of Houma, LA about 0645 Sunday and drove on to Mosspoint, MS. On our way out of Houma, I stopped off to pick up a beignet and a coffee. I want to Mr. Ron's doughnuts, which I was advised as having the very best beignets in town. It was as if Mr. Ron had never even heard of a beignet. As I was about to leave empty handed, I happened to glance down and spy piece of fried pastry the intrigued me. I was told that it was an éclair covered with a chocolate-praline topping. Beignet? Gimme one of those éclairs, and a coffee. And off we roared. We drove highway 90 instead of geting on the Interstate. The highway is much more scenic than the Interstate. Especially east of New Orleans and into Mississippi.
I want to go back to Louisiana again when I can spend more time taking in the sights and to be able to eat more of the Cajun food.
Along the Gulf Shore in Western Mississippi, I looked up and thought for a moment that I had, maybe, taken a wrong turn when I found myself back in Long Beach.
Of course it's Long Beach Mississippi, but it has salt water and sand and it's warm & sunny. Not too bad. Coastal Mississippi has been a real pleasant surprise.
I made it to Kenny & Janice Schmidt's in Moss Point, MS and settled in. Kenny used to be a liveaboard neighbor in Alamitos Bay Marina back in Long Beach California. He and his wife had their boat trucked to Galveston about six years ago and then motored east along the Inland Waterway through Texas and Louisiana to Mississippi. Of course before they could even reach Moss Point they got pounded by hurricane Ivan. Luckily for them, some shrimpers showed them how to weather the storm and keep from getting killed. They then made it to Moss Point only to meet up with Katrina. Which they also survived. They have a beautiful Golden-Lab mix named Boggs so now Sadie has a new boyfriend. They make a really cute pair.
Tschuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment