Thursday, April 22, 2010

Travels With Sadie, Day One. California & Arizona.

Well we finally got out of town. It was a late start so we didn't really get on the freeway until 11:30. I stopped in Banning to get a Big Carl. I have been pretty good with the burgers and red meat lately, but being I'm setting out for, some, part unknown; I thought that I could go weeks without a Big Carl and better have one while I can. That's my story and I'm stickin' with it. Across the street from Carls Jr. is the old horseradish store. The place looks like maybe it's had it's run and appeared to be permanently closed so I thought that I'd better get a picture of it while it's still standing. Occasionally, when I mention that there is a store in Banning that only sells horseradish, I do get these strange looks. So here is pictorial proof you doubters!


The rest of the drive to Palm Springs was pretty routine. I don't drive to Palm Springs often, but often enough to consider the drive routine. Once you get east of "The Springs", you are actually on the road. We crossed the Colorado River into Arizona at Blythe at 1515 and gassed up in Arizona where the cost of gasoline is a bit less.


We bypassed Phoenix around Gila Bend and made it to Willcox by 2130.
We probably could have made a bit better time, but I tried to stop about once an hour to allow Sadie to stretch her legs and romp around the desert. I guess she has now outgrown the romping phase of her life. She ran around a bit but mainly stayed close to pop.
Sadie was all enthused about "going for a ride" when we left, but by the time we got to Gila Bend I think she was done. She just sat in the front seat and stared out the side window with her face pressed against the glass.
In Willcox she did romp around a bit and peed and pooped and peed and pooped a second time, just in case.
It's now 0920 and I think I'll go shit, shine, shower, shave & shampoo and then we'll gas up and be on our way.
Tschuss

1 comment:

  1. I have an idea! Let's open a store in Banning that specializes in horseradish! Oh wait, that's already been done?

    ReplyDelete