Thursday, April 8, 2010

More beer talk.

Arrgh. All of a sudden this afternoon. I started thursten for a cold Leinenkugel or Pig's Eye beer. In case you don't know of these two, allow me to elaborate.

Leinenkugel would be my first choice of suds for no other reason then the name. Hell, with a name like that, Leinenkugel just has to be good. And it really is. They brew about a dozen different varieties.


Of course let's not overlook Sam Adams. The genius behind the beer is none other than Jim Koch. With a name like Jim Koch, this guy has to be the top beer gun.
Now if you want to have a really good beer, you have to buy a ticket on Luftansa and fly to the Old Country. To say that German beer is the best in the world is simply the understatement of all time. Every little town in Germany has at least one brewery and the local brew is all that most gasthauses serve. On the beer mug will be the crest for the brewery and under the crest it will say SIET and a year. SEIT, in German, means since and most of these places say seit 1600, or thereabouts. They have been making the same beer for 400+ years. Ya think they got it down by now?
I did have a hell of a beer in Amsterdam. I asked the beertender what kind it was and he said Heineken. It was so good that I didn't believe him. He insisted that I come around behind the bar and have a look at the label on the keg and sure enough it said Heieken.
There was a few brews that we drank overseas.
The first was Primo.
Ah Primo. That's the stuff we used to swill when we got to Pearl. Sort of pinapplie tasting. It wasn't all that great but after a week at sea, who the hell cared as long as it was cold.
Then there was good old San Miguel. Quaff of choice in Olongapo. Only one Phillipene peso a bottle when a Yankee Doller whould exchange for seven Pesos and a stick of gum. They also made it in Hong Kong. Great stuff.
Mostly these days, I'll have a nice ale or settle for a Coors when I just want to wet my whistle.
Well after all of this beer talk, gotta go get me a cold one.

No comments:

Post a Comment