Friday, April 23, 2010

Travels With Sadie, Days Two & Three. Texas

Once again we got a late start. We really didn't get under way until ten AM. In western New Mexico, we crossed into the Mountain Time Zone and then went over the Continental Divide. To paraphrase Dorthy, You know Sadie we're not in Long Beach anymore. We are no longer in the West, and we're heading farther east. I'm sure you know that if you drop some water in a stream west of the Continental Divide the water will eventually end up in the Pacific Ocean. East of the CD and it will end up in the Atlantic. Between South Bend and Elkhart Indiana, there is a North-South Continental Divide. I'm not too sure exactly what that means. South of this CD and water ends up in the Gulf of Mexico before eventually ending up in the Atlantic? And north of this CD and it ends up n Cleveland? We eventually made it to Texas. There is one word that describes Texas, big! It is huge. I saw a billboard in El Paso advertising Furr's Cafeteria. There used to be a Furr's in Paramount CA but it is now gone. I knew that Furr's was a Texas chain, but I just assumed that the whole chain had folded. I guess not. I liked the place but it was, pretty much, an all you can eat place, and faced with that prospect, I can eat a lot. Not good for me or my waistline. To see what is available, have a look. http://www.furrs.net/menus_daily.cfm?var=Saturday&state=TX&city=6&location=11925%20Gateway%20Blvd.%20West&menuType=1
My thoughts on food were focused on the Cajun variety like Etouffee and Muffulettas so gallantly, I forged ahead. The speed limit in West Texas is 80 MPH, but in order to keep my fuel consumption under control, I kept it to slightly under 70 and Texas kept droning on and on. It was getting late and we were still in Central Texas and the weather started to worsen. The wind was blowing the semis all over the road and it was thundering and lighting was striking everywhere so we pulled into a rest stop.
Three AM, I woke up and we got rolling again. Eight hundred and eighty stinking miles later, we finally got out of Texas at 1224. We are now in Houma LA and the whole area is under a tornado watch. I was so beat when we got here that we just fell into bed and still havent had even a Po' Boy.
Tschuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment